Sunday, October 17, 2010

Wow, time flies

Man, I can't believe that I haven't updated this since May! Shame on me!! I think I have good reasons though, but from now on out I will try and do better!

So for the past 3 months or so, I have been working on finishing up my degree by student teaching. I am currently student teaching at E.L.Wright Middle School and Blythewood High School. Both have been great places to work at and the directors are great people who I have learned a lot from already!  I have enjoyed the experience but it is very time consuming (and teaching will be to so I better get used to it!) and somewhat stressful. The thing about teaching is that unlike most things that need improvement such as playing an instrument or sport, you practice on your own and day by day you see improvement. Teaching is a much longer process to grasp and really to get better at. And really you can't practice by yourself, nope you have stand in front students everyday and "practice" the craft of teaching (which I've heard that you can't really master because it there is always something to change or do different). So many days in the beginning of this semester, I got frustrated because I felt like I was doing the same things, knowing how to fix it but not really understanding how to put all my knowledge into practice! UGH that is so frustrating!! Thankfully my cooperating teacher is very encouraging and helpful in many ways!

Many people who are doing the same degree track that I am, plan to student teach in the spring. Well I didn't really plan on teaching in the fall, it is really just how it worked out best for me so yeah. Marching band has been stressful and honestly exhausting. It feels like a constant marathon that just never seems to end! I really enjoy marching band however and have enjoyed working with this bunch of kids. It is hard to teach in a high school setting during marching band season because there is so much already going on and its hard to actually get time to be in front of the kids. I completely understand this however and am excited about marching band being over soon so that we all can get a little break and a change in setting!  I am completely and utterly enjoying my time at the middle school however and I am having a great experience there! I get to teach daily and I feel like the kids are finally getting used to me and me them! We just started Jazz Band at the middle school and man that is fun! This is a select group of students who auditioned and really just want to be there! So we get more done in a shorter amount of time! Our first rehearsal was this past week and it was a lot of fun! I am really enjoying student teaching at both the middle and the high schools and I am really excited about the rest of the semester!


Adam is still working hard at Shoe Carnival and doing some assistant ship work with a guy from CA. Recently however he got a possible job offer to be apart of a small (very small) independent gaming company that is just starting up for composition. We are hoping that it all pans out and works out ok. That would really help!

Our puppers are as happy as ever! Grace is always trying to play ball with us (even first thing in the morning) and she has come out of her shell a lot more the past few months. Yoshi is less of a monster these days, and more of a sweet cuddling, kissing dog who loves life. We love our little family

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm so glad you're enjoying student teaching :) and that it sounds like things are going well with you two! Good luck to Adam with the gaming company... here's hoping things work out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how did I know know you had a blog?? It sounds like you've been super busy! Slow down, for goodness sake! haha

    ReplyDelete